Sunday 7 October 2012

Narrowing it down.


Okay, I've narrowed it down to what I think encapsulates the 60s for me: the mods and the early skinheads.

I know that I want to capture the female sides of these subcultures, because they were centred mostly around males at the time (ie gangs, rivalry) and I want to try to capture the underside, the reality and the way the styles applied to the female body. I like the fact that there was a female side to one of the 'hardest' youth subcultures of the day, the skinheads. It was about music, the working class and a simple life - something which couldn't be further from the mod culture, which was very much about consumerism and the latest fashions. Both are instantly recogniseable styles, but they allowed for individuals to express themselves.


Mods:






Skinheads:



The female body in the 1960s:


"The 1920s and 1960s both bucked the trend of the curvaceous woman. Anthropologist Ann Bolin says that “during periods of liberation, like the 1920s, when women had just gotten the vote, and the 1960s, when the Pill became available, the ideal shape for women de-emphasized their reproductive characteristics–the nourishing breasts, the wide, childbearing hips.”





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;